How Can I Apply for a Mortgage Loan Modification ?

Posted by Kevin Ryan | Aug 08, 2016 | 0 Comments

Federal Homeowner Assistance Programs May be the Answer 

If you are behind on your mortgage payment ( for your personal residence), go to  and initiate a telephone consultation with a HUD mortgage counselor. Your mortgage servicer may have contacted you concerning an application to modify your loan, but if the loan is owned by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, HUD, the U.S. Veterans Administration, etc, then starting at this website in my experience with clients is the best source of information and offers the best chance for a resolution.

Home Affordable Modification Program (H.A.M.P.)

Ask about the H.A.M.P. Program and whether you are eligible. Every loan has a tracking number and they will be able to determine whether a U.S. government agency, or U.S. backed quasi government/corporate agency ( like Fannie Mae) owns the rights to the loan.  Even if you file a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Case, you can still proceed on your application to modify the loan.   Generally, the H.A.M.P program requires the homeowner to demonstrate good faith by setting up a three  (3) month series of reduced payments.   Once all of the required information is reviewed, and the application approved, the homeowner can be given an entirely new loan, with a lowered interest rate, lowered payment, and placement of the arrears at the end of the loan. The term  of the loan can be extended up to 40 years in some cases.  

Important Website:

Please note that the H.A.M.P program is a creation of the United States Congress. It can expire as an available alternative if it is not periodically renewed.   If you have an interest in this program, and any other new programs which may be created after the date of this post, it is best to start at the HUD website and become updated as to the current options.  

If you do decide to proceed with any application to modify your mortgage loan, it is important to keep copies of all documents submitted with your application along with a copy of your application.  Even though it will be more expensive, you should submit your application and all exhibits to the application via FedEX or UPS.  You should pay for additional tracking and request delivery signature if available.   Maintain a specific file for the application, read, and re-read any written correspondence you receive.  Reply to any request for updated information sent to you during the application process the same day, or as soon as possible.  Missing documents or documents submitted late can affect your application, or in some instances require you to re-submit the documents.  

If you have questions concerning your financial situation, an issue with a creditor, an issue with delinquent taxes, foreclosure, or any questions about bankruptcy law, please call me, I'll BE there for you. -Kevin Ryan, Attorney at Law

About the Author

Kevin Ryan

"I'll never be the kind of attorney your creditors want me to be. I'll always be the kind of attorney you NEED me to be. Call me. I'll BE there for you. And I'll make them go away."  -Kevin Ryan, Attorney at Law Kevin Ryan is a graduate of the College of Wooster and the Cleveland Marshall College of Law. He is admitted to practice before all Alabama State Courts, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama, and the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Alabama. The United States Bankruptcy Court is a part of the United States District Court. Since 1998, Mr. Ryan has represented thousands of individual clients in bankruptcy, criminal, divorce, probate, personal injury, and real estate matters.  Attorney Ryan is also a licensed real estate agent in Alabama.  He handles  Bank-owned properties, short sales, and conventional sales in addition to conventional real estate listings.   This wide range of experience enables Attorney Ryan to take a wider look at your legal matter. It is important to consult with an attorney who can see from experience how other legal issues may affect your situation, and advise you accordingly. Personal Info Kevin Ryan is a member of First Baptist Church in Silverhill, Alabama. He resides in Silverhill with his wife Jessica and their three children. Committed to helping our Clients achieve a fresh financial start Our practice focuses primarily on consumer bankruptcy matters under Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 of the United States Bankruptcy Code.  Our law practice also includes matters where bankruptcy litigation, appellate work, or involvement in civil lawsuits is needed by a client.     No representation is made that the quality of any of these legal services is of higher quality than another attorney or law firm.   The United States Bankruptcy Code requires the following notice:  We are a Debt Relief Agency, which means we help people get legal relief from their Debts through the bankruptcy process. Interested in learning more about our bankruptcy attorney near Mobile, Alabama? Contact Us for help with chapter 7 bankruptcy or chapter 13 bankruptcy in Mobile, Baldwin and Washington counties. Education Juris Doctor, Cleveland Marshall College of Law, 1997 Employed full time as a paralegal while attending law school in the evenings. B.A., The College of Wooster, 1994 NCAA Div.III All Conference (N.C.A.C.) Football Team : Defense 1993; Most Inspirational Senior Award 1993; Co-captain 1993; Letterman 1991-1993; Phi Sigma Alapha Fraternity 1991-1994; Athletic Director Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice Alabama


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


We serve the following localities: Choctaw county, Washington county, Clarke county, Monroe county, Escambia county, Mobile County including Eight Mile, Grand Bay, Irvington, Mobile, Prichard, Saraland, Semmes, Theodore, and Tillmans Corner; and Baldwin County including Bay Minette, Daphne, Fairhope, Foley, and Robertsdale.

I'll BE there for you.

I'll never be the kind of attorney your creditors want me to be. I'll always be the kind of attorney you NEED me to be. Call me. I'll BE there for you. - Kevin Ryan, Attorney at Law